Renting property and water damage

When you purchase a home unless it is brand-new and inspection is done to determine the safety and livability of the home. Sometimes the inspection may be foregone but in the case of rental homes there usually isno inspection. So what you did have moved into a rental and you discover that mold has moved in before you?

Danny Hamrick was forced to move his family out of a rental home on Cherry Lane in Nampa. The reason why they’ve moved out is mold. “there was mold under the water heater, behind the floor boards and in the crawlspace under the sink.It started at the bottom and is working its way up,” said Hamrick.

Hamrick says the owner of the home wouldn’t do anything about it so he called in a certified mold inspector to take a look.

“The mold that we tested under the sink tested positive for chaetomium, which we refer to as a marker mold. There had been enough moisture and water that had been dripping over a long period of time that it created a perfect environment for stuff to start growing, there’s enough of it in the area that they frequent, like the kitchen and living room, that those spores are constantly airborne. Its just such a high concentration in a specific location it can be really be harmful for your health.” Said Barak Watson, with Mold Inspection Services.

“Its commonly referred to as black mold and is always an indicator of an indoor mold problem.living with a large amount of mold in the house can make you sick.” Said Watson.

The Environmental Protection Agency says “active moldcan cause serious health complications, especially for people with weaker immune systems.”

The Centers for Disease Control says, “memory loss and confusion are symptoms of living with black mold. Skin irritation and respiratory problems are also symptoms”.

The family requested remediation of the mold, but so far the landlords have refused.

Many people complain about health issues after moving into a new home and never think that this may be caused by mold. In a very little amount of water damage could results in mold growth and a very great deal of water damage can result in a very great deal of mold. This mold may or may not be known by the home owner before you move in and if you do find it you should let them know immediately. There are some things to keep in mind when moving into new house.

Once you decide that you like in place and are really considering moving you should ask the landlord about water damage. Has there been any in the past? What was done to fix it? What steps were taken to prevent it happening in the future? These are all valid questions that should be on your list of first things to ask a potential landlord. You should also make an effort to educate yourself about mold and water damage.

If you have the available funds or if the landlord is willing to pay for it you should seek owned a mold and water damage restoration company to give your potential new house a good going over. This will allow you to move in with a clear conscience and the landlord to know for certain that his property is free of mold. If you do not have the funds or if the landlord is unwilling to you should make an effort to have a quick look over the house yourself. Check any areas that are always coming into contact with water and look out for signs of mold growth. Mold and mildew are often present together so if you smell a musty rotten sort of smell than that may be an indication of unseen water damage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *