Learn Some Tips on How to Dry Out a Flooded Crawl Space
Keep your crawl space dry and clean to prevent undesirable effects of water damage! While waiting for water damage experts to arrive in your home, please read this article to keep you posted on how to dry out a flooded crawl space.
Since a crawl space is a remote area or part of your home that is seldom visited, unexpected problems can occur. It can lead to a huge issue such as a flooded crawl space. And this can really be mind-boggling and devastating. But whatever the reason behind it, be it from heavy rains, burst pipes and other plumbing problems, or an excessive amount of groundwater that is invading your property, act right away!
What happens if you disregard a flooded crawl space?
Bigger issues occur including health issues if a homeowner doesn’t pay attention to a flooded crawl space. When moisture or water gets stuck for a longer time, it can lead to even more harmful mold. Your appliances may be damaged permanently since they are submerged in water. Moreover, your house structures may be in danger because of water exposure.
However, you wouldn’t have any problems once this issue has been attended to right away.
Tips and Alternative Actions on How to Dry Out a Flooded Crawl Space
Here are some things you can do to dry out flooded crawl space.
- Before you enter the crawl space, protect yourself by donning a mask, gloves, cloth covering, and rubber boots.
- Turn off the main electrical supply switch before you do anything in the crawl space.
- Assess the affected area and once you notice water, know where the source of the moisture or leak is. Turn off the main water lines and control the leak before the situation gets worse.
- Check and inspect your home’s foundation for any cracks and crevices. Water can easily seep from the soil up to your floorboards. And this will make the foundation more prone to cracks as time goes on.
- Let professionals inspect and maintain your crawl space on a regular basis to prevent further damage.
- Insulate or fix your property’s leaking pipes to prevent the spouting of leaks.
- Get rid of all moisture and water. Wipe them out by using rags or paper towels if only there’s a tiny amount of water.
- For a significant amount of moisture/water, rent a wet-dry vacuum or a pump. This is a faster way of getting rid of water. A wet-dry vac is really great for getting a pool of water. You might also want to consider hiring a company with equipment that is an industrial grade, especially after flooding or heavy rains.
- If your crawl space is now clear of water, it is very necessary to dry it out thoroughly. This will prevent mold in crawl space. Mold can affect not only the structural integrity of your building but also your health.
- Ventilate the area by opening all the windows and your door.
- Use dehumidifiers and exhaust fans to speed up the drying process. Installing a dehumidifier helps in getting rid of the extreme amount of moisture and improves the air quality of your home.
- Clean up the affected area in your crawl space and fix if there are any damages. Remove any insulation if wet and replace it with dry materials.
- Consider installing a sump pump in your crawl space to get rid of water and prevent a flood.
- For your drainage system, you can also set a french drain in place to let water flow away from your property. Re-grading your yard for a steeper slope can also help to get water flowing away from your house.
- Install a moisture vapor barrier to protect your property’s wood beams and first-floor foundation. This is also one good way of preventing mold, especially in times of flood.
Water Damage Experts On The Go!
Do you have standing water and other crawl space problems? Crawl space flooding can be a burden to you and the whole household. Solve this issue right away!
Once you have done the tips on how to dry out a flooded crawl space, Superior Restoration will still help you throughout the process. Our prompt, courteous, highly skilled 24/7 on-call water damage experts will take care of your assets and restore your home in no time.
Don’t delay. Prevent water damage. Please contact Water Damage Corona for emergency water and mold damage services!