Learn How to Get Rid of Musty Smell in Your House
There are various reasons why an unpleasant smell lingers in your home, particularly musty smells. A musty smell indicates one common reason which is mold or mildew. Both are fungi that grow in warm, humid environments. Moreover, they can cause serious health problems as well as damage to your home. And no matter how neat your home looks, a musty smell can still make the place feel unclean and uncomfortable. Now, you don’t need to worry about how to get rid of musty smell in house! Aside from the tips that we are going to share in this article, restoration specialists can help you with removing odors completely.
Watch Out! Signs of Water Damage
Moisture build-up is the major source of musty smells. It is still best to contact water damage experts who can conduct a deep and thorough inspection of your home.
- Check the plumbing system, pipes, and roof for leaks.
- Inspect the seepage in your basement.
- Check your washing machine’s base. Front-load washers keep a small amount of water in their bases. Water accumulates over time together with bacteria and leads to water damage issues such as mold growth.
- Check and inspect water-prone areas of your home such as the bathroom, garage, and kitchen.
- Inspect walls for signs of water damage such as discoloration or spots.
- Check damp cloths, clothes, or towels where mold can grow.
How to Get Rid of Musty Smell in House
It’s better and safer to ask professionals to completely remove musty smells and take care of your water-damaged property. However, you can try the following tips on how to get rid of musty smell in your house:
1. Get to know the source of the musty odors.
You have to be keen to locate the initial source of the musty smell. Check for strong smells in common areas where moisture build-up is prone such as the bathroom, basement, or inside the washing machine.
Furthermore, attempt to check all the corners inside your home, including fabrics, clothes, and carpets, since they are also prone to develop moisture. These tips will help you detect mold and mildew in your home.
2. Eliminate odor with fresh air.
The simplest way to get rid of any odors in your home is by allowing the circulation of air. Open all your windows and doors to allow fresh air in. This will help cover up the musty smell.
Enclosed spaces are also sources of musty smells. Open the drawers, cabinets, and cupboards to let the moist air dry out.
3. Run a dehumidifier and an air purifier.
Improve the conditions of your property by placing fans and dehumidifiers to reduce the humidity level. This will also encourage airflow. In addition, combining an air purifier with a dehumidifier will greatly help your home from musty smells and prevent moldy odors in the future, too.
4. Have time to regularly clean your house.
A messy home can contribute to musty smells so deep cleaning your home from top to bottom including corners and spaces behind the furniture, stairs, and electronics is a must. Use a clean, damp cloth with cleaning agents or a dust feather to remove the dust and reduce the smell. Moreover, use a vacuum for carpets or close-fitting areas.
5. Make use of natural remedies.
- Boiling lemon peels can help eliminate musty odors. Boil some water and put lemon peels in the pot. Then safely place the pot in a small space and allow the steam and lemony fragrance to spread in your home. This will act as a natural air freshener and help your home smell fresh.
- Using a natural odor eliminator such as white vinegar and baking soda greatly helps, too. They absorb odors and neutralize the smell in your home. Leave baking soda solution where the musty area is for 24 hours.
- Using charcoal as an alternative helps absorb musty smells. Place them in a tray or a container throughout your home or set them on a table to remove musty smells.
6. Check for possible places where water leaks and repairs.
Water damage is a major cause of why your house smells musty. You must check areas of your home where moisture levels are high. Examples are the kitchen, bathroom, behind the appliance, near the vents, and basement. Repair any potential water leaks.
7. Deeply clean the affected areas.
Before you begin a thorough cleaning of your home, put on your appropriate protective gear such as gloves and a mask. Make sure that there is also enough ventilation so as not to endanger your health especially if you will use bleach. Bleach is effective at cleaning mildew and surface mold.
If you want natural remedies, baking powder and white vinegar solutions are helpful. Spray the solution onto affected areas and let it sit for several hours before wiping and scrubbing with a brush or sponge. The chemical or natural solution will help eliminate mold spores.
Contact Our Team at Superior Restoration
After following the tips on how to get rid of musty smells in your house and musty smells still persist, please call Water Damage Corona.
We provide effective mold removal and remediation services. Our skilled professionals have the right tools and equipment to help you find the cause of the musty smell and give a long-term solution. We are available 24/7.